The last few years have seen publishers around the world exploring the potential of digital publishing for advantages such as zero printing costs, no hassle of warehousing and inventory, minimal waste, and above all, publishing without paper.
Digital publishing platforms have truly expanded both the reach and accessibility of published content with eBooks having found widespread acceptance among publishers and readers.
For publishers specifically, it means better visibility of their published content, better pricing opportunities, faster dissemination of content, retargeting the reader, and much more.
8 Best e-reader Platforms For Digital Publishing -
KITABOO is a well-known cloud-based eBook platform that allows publishers to effortlessly create, publish, and distribute multimedia-rich eBooks. And it comes with robust ereaders.
Below are some of the key features of the KITABOO reader –
- Offers DRM protection and encryption for content security
- Features advanced user analytics to thoroughly evaluate the performance of your eBook after its publication
- Available for multiple operating systems including Windows, Android, and iOS
- Allows publishers to create their own branded web store where users can both download the eBooks as well as read them offline
Blurb is a great option in the category of ereaders that offer fixed-format eBooks that are sold through Apple’s bookstore and the Blurb Bookstore.
Below are some of the key features of Blurb –
- The platform charges a one-time $9.99 eBook publishing fee
- Blurb is ideal for authors with design-heavy projects such as illustrated children’s books and cookbooks as it allows them to enhance their eBooks with audio and video
- Allows you to convert your manuscript to a reflowable eBook from a text document
- Features a supportive online community, the platform also offers a detailed inspiration hub with a tips and tutorials page, creative writing exercises and other publishing resources in one place
- Royalties with Blurb are 80% off list price minus Apple’s 30% fee from books sold via the bookstore
3. NOOK Press
NOOK Press is a popular ereader platform from Barnes & Noble that offers a free and simple interface to make it easier for authors to convert, upload, and edit their work.
Among the key features of the NOOK Press include-
- The platform allows you to control the price of your book with royalties up to 65% when you publish directly with B&N Press
- Offers live chat support services and collaborative social networking option to allow authors to work together and comment on/edit each other’s work.
- The platform charges no deductions for delivery fees
eBookIt is another popular ereader platform that distributes to Apple, Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Google, Sony, and Ingram. The key highlight of the company is its DIY guide to format your own ePub file and free conversion service.
Below are some of the other features of this platform –
- The platform is intended specifically for independent authors and small press outlets
- The site offers features such as eBook conversion, distribution, and promotion starting at $199 one-time fee
- The platform keeps 15% of the net profit and author payments are made using PayPal
Offering a global distribution to the major eBook retailers, including Kobo, Nook, and the Amazon bookstore, Bookbaby is another good choice for digital publishers.
Below are some of the key features of Bookbaby –
- It is a unique publishing service that doesn’t take any percentage of your sales
- Offers several paid services, including design, formatting, and distribution
- All packages of this ereader platform include access to the company’s book promo program which includes publicity services and a social media marketing guide
- The platform offers authors additional marketing opportunities to easily promote and sell their work
6. Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing
The self-publishing arm of Amazon, Kindle Direct Publishing is one of the largest online sources for eBooks. The platform allows you to publish your eBook on the Amazon Kindle Store, which easily makes them available on Kindle devices and Kindle apps for iOS, Android and more.
Below are some of the key highlights of Kindle –
- Self-publishing on the platform is free and you can earn up to 70 percent royalties on book sales
- Publishing on KDP takes very less time, and your book appears on Kindle stores worldwide within a maximum of 48 hours
- Allows you to keep control of your rights and set your own list prices along with making changes to your books at any time
- Features a menu at the top of your screen that allows you to change text size, margins, line spacing, brightness, or background colour
Lulu is a popular ereader platform for digital publishing that allows you to convert your word document into an ePub format for free.
Below are some of the main features of this ereader platform –
- Allows you to earn 75% royalty
- The platform gives authors the flexibility to create and publish eBooks for a variety of different platforms and stores
- Offers the flexibility to create and format your own eBook for free or hire Lulu to edit, proofread and design your books
- Gives you the option to publish the book on Lulu’s site, but also convert it into a file that you can make available on all available readers and tablets
8. Google Play Books
If you want to make your titles available on Android devices and Google Books, the Google Play Books ereader platform is a great choice to look at. The platform allows you to easily upload your content, set your own prices, and sell to customers around the world.
Below are some of the key features of Google Play Books –
- Regardless of price, it allows you to earn 70% revenue split for sales
- Gives the flexibility to control your rights and reach your maximum potential audience
- The app supports several eBook formats and also allows you to upload your books to the cloud
There are multiple digital publishing platforms available today which publishers can use to manage their eBooks publications. However, it is important to do thorough research and make an informed decision to reach out to the largest possible audience.
We have listed here some of the top ereader platforms that enable publishers to easily sell, manage, and distribute content through the web and mobile apps.