With the Internet it is easy to publish your textbooks online. There are several digital publishing software tools that allow you to publish your documents with just a few clicks. However, the worrying aspect is how to securely distribute your digital books in an online environment that enables easy sharing, copying or downloading of content. While there is no 100% foolproof way to prevent duplication of your digital textbooks, there are several protective measures you can take to minimize the chances.
Related Read: The Best Online Bookshelf for Digital Publishing
How to ensure security of your digital textbooks
1. Convert to PDF: You can convert your files into PDF format before uploading onto the Internet. A PDF is more secure than a Word file as it supports data encryption and so offers a secure transfer of content on the Internet. A PDF also allows you to customize user access while also protecting against viruses and other malware. The format preserves the visual elements in the text and also provides some level of support for interactive features.
2. Watermark your digital textbooks: Watermarking plasters your name across the digital documents, thereby, making it extremely difficult for people to take undue credit for your work. These watermarks improve security as they cannot be altered or removed, making them an effective tool for preventing copyright violations on the Internet.
3. Register your digital textbooks: Registering creates a public record that you own copyright of your intellectual property. In case you discover any incidence of copyright infringement, you can sue the person in court.
4. Publish an official copyright notice: Another way to securely distribute textbooks online is to publish an official copyright notice the moment you publish them. The notice is an official message that you own the content and no one can access, use, share, or download it without your permission. This notice will serve as a deterrent to people with any intention to breach your copyright and unethically profit from it.
5. Acquire digital rights management for your digital textbooks: In the online arena, traditional copyright laws hold no ground – therefore, there is a need for an alternative route to protect your intellectual property rights – digital rights management, or DRM, allows you to accomplish just that. DRM adds an extra layer of security to your digital textbooks – it works similar to a physical lock, you can lock your property, share or restrict entry with a key and thus, ensure safety and security of your valuable assets. DRM ensures that only students and faculty members with a valid access code can view your digital textbooks; going further, it also allows you to control what they do or rather cannot do with your content. In other words, it provides you complete control over your textbook- you can set terms for access and how the learners can interact with the content.
Here are some of the benefits of DRM or digital rights management
Increased revenue: DRM prevents any unauthorized sharing or download of your digital books, therefore, those who want to read them will have to make a rightful purchase. With DRM, you enjoy monetary benefits of your copyright material.
Prevent IPR theft: DRM ensures complete protection to your intellectual property rights (IPR), which means that no person can access or share your material deliberately or unintentionally. In fact, you can even view how many people have viewed your material and whether they have tried to unethically share your files. You can even identify these people and take appropriate action if necessary.
How to Create a DRM Protected eBook and Distribute it Securely
How to securely distribute your textbooks online
There are several digital rights management software you can acquire to secure your online content. Another option is to use a digital publishing platform that offers DRM encryption. In this case, once you upload your digital textbooks, you will get the option to add DRM encryption, Social DRM, or digital watermarking. Select DRM encryption and your textbook will instantly be stored in an encrypted vault for safekeeping. Further, you can integrate the API of the digital publishing platform on your website to allow your audience to make a purchase. Besides, you can also control access to the content, for instance, provide limited access for a limited period, post which the educational institution will have to either renew the subscription or make a purchase.
Distribute your digital textbooks online with KITABOO
As a digital publisher, if you are looking to publish and distribute your digital content online, you may want to consider our digital publishing platform, KITABOO. Once you publish on KITABOO, your digital content is encrypted and DRM protected, and only available for access with unique access codes.
Benefits of publishing with KITABOO
- KITABOO is an effective solution that provides a complete range of features to publish and securely distribute your digital content.
- You can integrate the KITABOO SDK/API on your website and distribute your digital content on various platforms and on multiple devices (smartphones, tablets or PCs).
- You can create a web store and license your eBooks to educational institutions who can in-turn distribute them to learners and instructors. Alternatively, you can directly assign content to end-users or let the institutions do it.
- You can get unrestricted access to usage metrics and data analytics to view and monitor who and how a student uses your digital content.
- Finally, you can also get your own branded app to distribute your eBooks
As a digital publisher, you know how difficult and time-consuming it is to create innovative content. Once it is done, you would surely want to reap its benefits, something which you cannot do if people can simply copy, share or download it for free. Digital rights management or DRM is a means to protect your digital textbooks from unauthorized use, ensure it is properly copyrighted, and that you have complete control over who views your content or interacts with it. DRM also ensures that there is no breach in regulatory compliance and you are not victim to any unethical practices.
You May Also Like
Latest posts by Mike Harman (see all)
- Best Online eBook Authoring Software for Publishers - June 14, 2021
- Benefits of a White Label eBook Platform for Publishers - June 9, 2021
- How to Choose the Best Interactive eBook Publishing Software - June 7, 2021