Project WET has been researching, writing and publishing water education materials since 1984. They have a repository of the most comprehensive collection of award-winning water education books, guides, maps, posters and downloadable resources that will inspire a positive change on a global scale.
Advancing water education to understand global challenges and inspire local solutions.
Steps to Achieve the Mission
- Publishing water resource education materials that are appropriate for all age groups and cultures. These education materials offer a comprehensive coverage of the broad topic of water and the dire need to preserve the resources
- Providing training workshops to educators at all levels on diverse topics. These training workshops, formal and non-formal, equip the educators with the knowledge and compassion to reach out to children with objective, experiential, science-based water education
- Implementing customized projects with corporations, government organizations and local watershed managers. These projects help in creating the much needed awareness about the global challenges related to water resources
- Building a worldwide network of educators, water resource professionals, NGOs, water scientists and other experts. This network helps in creating the educational material and advocating for the role of water education. This network strives to solve complex water issues
Creating a world where action-oriented education enables everyone to understand and value water, ensuring a sustainable future.
The Core Beliefs
All the publications, training workshops and events created at Project WET are based on the following core beliefs –
- Water connects all
- Water is for all
- Water must be managed sustainably
- Water depends on personal responsibility and action
Project WET Water Festivals
Project WET water festivals aim at promoting awareness and knowledge about water and its resources. They are essentially held for children at or near their schools and for community members in a retail setting.
Water festivals are a unique attempt to educate students in a fun, interactive environment and offer alternative learning opportunities including structured learning stations and exhibits where students across age groups can come together and engage in hands-on water activities.
These festivals are grounded in water science principles and also promote multidisciplinary learning approaches by integrating social studies, language, math, art and journalism. At the community level, these festivals are led by employees, educators, community water experts, parents or community members after completing Project WET training.
ActionEducation™ includes educational methods that empower students to take action for water preservation that can lead to sustainable solutions for the issues surrounding water resources.
ActionEducation™ comprises of –
- Students proactively taking up school recycling projects
- Schools authorities partnering with local businesses to install drip irrigation in the school gardens
- Teachers and students working together to restore a severely eroded creek bank to negate water wastage
- An after-school club that organizes stream monitoring
- Any other actions that can be taken locally to raise awareness or address water issues
Project WET Publications Overview
The result of extensive research, collaborative expertise of water scientists and a shared vision for a sustainable future is a comprehensive collection of water education books, guides, maps, posters and downloadable resources.
Project WET’s educator guides feature field-tested activities for educators of children from pre-K through high school. These guides are perfect teaching aids for –
- Community educators
- Government agencies and non-government organizations
- Museum, aquarium, zoo and National Park Service staff
Children’s Activity Booklets
Project WET’s series of student activity booklets includes more than sixty titles. These highly immersive booklets engage students in hands-on learning about water science through creative investigations, demonstrations, experiments, educational games and stories. They are written and illustrated for children aged eight to twelve.
Children’s Story Books
Lushly illustrated, Project WET’s story books invite children to experience the wonders of water. These stories are designed for early childhood educators, parents, grandparents and anyone else who wants to help young children understand the importance of water.
Other water education materials include printable activity supplies, individual activities, booklets and educator guides to download instantly.
WETConnect enables students to access hands-on learning and self-led discovery in online environments. WETConnect aims at bringing water education to life with eBooks, interactive lessons, games, quizzes and assessments. People beyond geographical boundaries can connect with each other and acquire knowledge anytime, anywhere.
Project WET Partnership with KITABOO
“The future of technology in the education sector is not only exciting but also empowering for educators and students from pre-K through Ph.D.”
– Forbes Magazine
Project WET has leveraged innovation and technology to provide digital wheels to their mission of creating a sustainable future. They partnered with KITABOO, a cloud-based digital publishing platform, citing the need to deliver their digital content through a robust and secure publishing platform.
Since they deliver content to children of all age groups, KITABOO’s intuitive and user-friendly interface helped in accommodating users of all skill levels. The rich multimedia features made the stories and activities come to life, thus allowing children to connect with the content on a deeper level. The eBooks included immersive animations, lessons, games, quizzes and other interactive assessment solutions. KITABOO has enabled Project WET to seamlessly integrate highly interactive features and deliver an immersive reading experience to their users of all age groups.
Children and educators can enjoy the interactive lessons, stories and activities on all operating systems and on devices of their choice. With KITABOO, Project WET delivers hands-on water education materials to more than 30,000 teachers and millions of students each year.
KITABOO is assisting Project WET to inspire a generation to preserve water resources and march towards a sustainable future.