What is it about the modern learners that keep L&D teams on their toes? Why do training teams have to come up with innovative ideas to train the today’s workforce? A decade ago, employees would have a training schedule given to them, whereby they had to be present at the training venue and sit through the entire session.
What sets today’s learners apart is their eagerness to learn more and their willingness to keep upskilling themselves.
When we say ‘modern-day learners’, we are referring to the generation of digital learners, who are savvy with all latest technologies and easily adapt to them.
For these employees, learning is not defined by classrooms and instructors. Instead, valuable content and engaging methods of perusing that content is what helps them learn better and faster. It is for this reason that enterprises have resorted to different methods for training delivery.
Let’s discuss top training delivery techniques/methods –
- Mobile Learning
- Blended Learning
- Video Training
- Simulation and Game-based Learning
Top 5 Effective Training Delivery Techniques Adopted by Enterprises -
1. Mobile Learning
Hands down, this has to be the most popular method of employee training today. People spend a majority of their free time on mobile devices. Checking their phones every minute has almost become second nature.
This makes mobile learning the most effective form of training delivery. Using the device of their choice for training delivery will ensure that they will go through the learning module with due diligence.
Only thing is, you need to ensure that the content is engaging enough. But with various eBook creation platforms that offer interactive features, creating engaging content shouldn’t be a problem. Here are 5 Ways to Create Effective Interactive Training Content.
Advantages of mobile-based training:
- Employees can learn at their own pace
- They have access to the learning content 24×7
- Mobile learning is more convenient as it can be accessed anytime and anywhere
- Content is stored on the cloud, which means L&D teams can update it as and when required
Here are Benefits & Use Cases of Mobile Learning in Enterprise Training
How to Create Mobile-Friendly Training Content
2. Blended Learning
Blended learning is a combination of online and offline training. This method is popular for utilizing the attributes of both types of training techniques. One offers the comfort of familiarity of the age-old classroom learning, while the other tries to detach the training from the classroom by allowing employees to access the content on their mobile phones, tablets and laptops.
By combining both the training delivery methods, employees get a more holistic learning experience. Blended learning makes it easier for instructors to personalize the course modules based on competency and learning capacity of the employees. At the same time, employees can learn concepts all by themselves through online course modules.
Benefits of blended learning:
- Employees can learn concepts online and get guidance from their instructors during face-to-face interaction.
- Slowly takes the employee out of their comfort zone by blending both learning methods.
- Instructors can address the particular learning needs of each employee.
- Employees can discuss problems in real-time as well as during face-to-face sessions and come up with plausible solutions.
3. Video Training
There has been a tremendous spike in the consumption of video content in recent years. YouTube has 300 hours of video uploaded every minute, whereas 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram each day.
These numbers show that creating video based training modules will not only be better received by the learners but will also have more engagement value.
There are various styles of videos that you can opt for. The commonly used formats for video training include animation, demo video, explainer, and live action.
In fact, you can utilize all the formats to develop a training module, depending on your training objectives and budget. So, if you want your modern-day learners to retain the knowledge you present, you have a whole range of video formats to choose from. And they are definitely more effective than plain text.
Advantages of video training:
- The visual elements help improve knowledge retention
- High rate of engagement
- Addresses different learning styles of visual, auditory and kinesthetic learners
- Employees can pause, rewind, and fast forward to re-watch a part they missed or didn’t understand.
Microlearning, as the name suggests, is learning content that is micro in size. These training modules are more like short nuggets which are created for people to go through while on the go. Microlearning is the apt solution for busy individuals, especially for those in the sales department.
They can get just-in-time information whenever they need without having to scroll through lengthy notes. The concept of microlearning evolved from mobile learning. Although these short modules are also delivered on mobile devices, they are far shorter, and crisp compared to mobile learning modules.
Advantages of microlearning:
- Just-in-time information for employees on the go
- Short crisp knowledge nuggets for quick view
- Easy to create and deliver
- Provides quick refresher on skills before they perform a task
5. Simulation and Game-Based Learning
Learning by doing is way more effective than learning by reading. In a typical business environment, employees are at times required to make instant decisions. And as you know, timely delivery of output is important for every business.
In order to prepare the employees for any situation that comes up at the workplace, simulation exercises are a great approach to achieve this aim.
In simulation training, employees are encouraged to experiment and take risks by trying out alternative courses of action. This lets them experience different outcomes, helping them understand the correct way to do things at work.
This type of training involves building a story around the concept and allowing the learners to apply their knowledge to proceed further with the course.
Advantages of simulation/game-based training:
- Provides hands-on learning experience to the learners
- Improves their critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Instructors can gauge the understanding of the learner
- Active learning improves knowledge retention
One of the challenges of training modern day employees is keeping them engaged. With their limited attention span, it has become imperative for course creators to develop highly engaging and compelling training modules.
Adopting the above-mentioned approaches for training delivery can help enterprises in retaining the attention of the learners and improving their overall learning experience.
DISCOVER HOW A MOBILE-FIRST TRAINING PLATFORM CAN HELP YOUR ORGANIZATION
Kitaboo is a cloud-based platform to create, deliver & track mobile-first interactive training content.
You May Also Like
Latest posts by Snehnath Neendoor (see all)
- 8 Advantages of Using a Cloud-based Platform for Sales Training - May 7, 2023
- How to Create Interactive Content for Sales Enablement - May 6, 2023
- Best Employee Onboarding Solutions for the Digital-First Workforce - April 28, 2023